THS Homework
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baker University

Go down

Baker University Empty Baker University

Post  jjackson Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:22 pm

This homework forum is something new our high school has just started. I think it will be useful for my students to see what they are missing in class if they are absent. It is also good to give me a framework for other teachers to see what my classes are currently working on. Parents can also stay updated on the work of their child.

jjackson

Back to top Go down

Baker University Empty RSS Feed - Blog Response

Post  jjackson Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:21 pm

What Are You Doing In That Computer Lab?
http://www.techlearning.com/showArticle.php?articleID=196604984&page=1

This article was taken from the Google Reader feed from TechLEARNing.com. The article gives tips to teachers when taking their students to the computer lab. Being a computer teacher I can feel for the classroom teacher trying to figure out the computer issues when taking the students to the lab.

Three main tips were given throughout the article.

1) The computer should be used for reinforcement not for teaching a concept.
This concept is important for teachers thinking of a computer as a babysitter.

2) The lab allows student leaders to step forward.
I use this concept in my classroom. The students that are tech savvy get reassigned as "helpers" when they get done. I use this quite often to help my slower students learn the concept with a helping hand.

3) Spend less time blocking content and more time teaching why to avoid inappropriate content.
This is an interesting concept that I agree with, but is hard to implement. Our school blocks most offensive content and for the school environment I think that is appropriate.

jjackson

Back to top Go down

Baker University Empty Shift Happens -Blog Response

Post  jjackson Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:20 pm

I really like the video about Shift Happens. It makes it clear the changes that our world is currently undergoing. Our 21st century students will see major shifts in how education is attained. I think a teacher's responsibility is to stay open minded about needed changes. It will take a creative teacher and school system to response to the type of learning our students need. Our students will not be competing for jobs with Billy and Joe down the street, but with students from across the globe. We need to equip our students to respond to an ever-changing landscape. Technology will be a driving force in our students future. The amount of information that is being created will be too great for our students to learn just facts. Our students need to have the skills to process information and make informed decisions. Teachers will need to continue to change to help give students the skills they need.

jjackson

Back to top Go down

Baker University Empty Podcasting

Post  jjackson Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:54 pm

I don't think podcasting should completely replace powerpoint or a written report, but it is a good alternative. I think podcasting would be something our students would really enjoy. Students embrace new technology and new ways to express their thoughts. My students would think it is "neat" to try something new. The ability to express their views in different types of medium allows teachers to reach different learning styles. Also with a podcast the students would be able to download their podcasts to an ipod for future use.

jjackson

Back to top Go down

Baker University Empty PowerPoint Slide Tips

Post  jjackson Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:08 pm

I was not able to use the Atomic Learning site because the membership had expired. I took one of the topics you suggested "PowerPoint Effectiveness" and applied some material that I found elsewhere on the Internet. I found a great presentation resource at www.garrreynolds.com. He has different areas about preparation, delivery, and slide design techniques. I wanted to summarize some of his top tips for good slide design.

1) Keep is simple
My experience suggests that my students try to put too much information on a single slide. He reinforces the concept of less words and less "stuff"

2) Limit Bullets
I have come to hate the bullets points that fly in from off the screen. I forbid this in my class now.

3) Use high quality graphics
Do not use clip art. It shows that you didn't put a lot of thought into your presentation. Also if you use an image make sure the resolution is large enough support the size.

4) Use charts
Any type of visual representation of data will help convey your message.

5) Use video and audio
There is a lot of audio and video clips available to include in your presentation. Audio and video supplements the message and keeps the audience focused on the topic.

jjackson

Back to top Go down

Baker University Empty Final Blog

Post  jjackson Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:55 am

Overall I have enjoyed taking this Education Technology class. It has reaffirmed my decision to teach in the area of technology and motivated me to continue to explore and learned new ideas. Technology is ever-changing and a teacher will never have enough time to master all new ideas, but it is important for a teacher to continue to learn. The Millennium generation loves technology and is motivated to learn when technology plays a prominent role.

Listed are the software that I found most helpful throughout the course.

www.surveymonkey.com
This free site is great for acquiring data. I see several uses for this in the classroom and outside the classroom. I am finishing my Administration degree and I see the use of this tool for teacher and student climate surveys. This is a neat tool and very easy for the students to design and manipulate.

rss
I love the ability to mine the web for the lastest content. I will be honest and say that I currently use this mostly for interests outside of the school day (Kstate, personal finance, ESPN), but this technology is great to stay updated on whatever topic you want.

Blogs
This class has opened my eyes to the use of blogs in my classes. Another member of this class states the success of SpEd students using blogs and that is something I would like to try.

Growing Up Online video
This PBS was wonderful for my Computer Technology class. The content sparked good discussion amongst my high school students about privacy, parents role in technology, and even the school's role in their technology education.

jjackson

Back to top Go down

Baker University Empty Re: Baker University

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum